symb. Chem. the element rhodium.
2 Rhesus factor.
* * *noun1. a blood group antigen possessed by Rh-positive people; if an Rh-negative person receives a blood transfusion from an Rh-positive person it can result in hemolysis and anemia (Freq. 2)• Hypernyms: ↑antigen2. a white hard metallic element that is one of the platinum group and is found in platinum ores; used in alloys with platinum
* * *Usage: usually capitalized Rvariant of rh factor
* * *Meteorol. See relative humidity.Also, rh.
* * *abbrev1. Republic of Haiti (IVR)2. Royal Highness
* * *r.h.,1. relative humidity.2. Music. right hand.Rh (no period),1. Rh factor.2. rhodium (chemical element).R.H.,1. Royal Highlanders.2. Royal Highness.
* * *1.abbr. Rhesus (factor)2.symbol the chemical element rhodium
* * *abbrright hand
* * *rha consonantal digraph used in Latin, and hence in English, French, and other languages, to represent Gr. initial ῥ (with spiritus asper); in English it has the same phonetic value as the simple r. In med.L., OF., and consequently in ME., the h was frequently dropped (see rhetoric, rheum1), and in a few instances (e.g. rachis, raphe) custom has sanctioned its omission in mod.English. Gr. medial ρρ (formerly often printed ῤῥ) is normally represented by rrh (as in diarrhœa).
Useful english dictionary. 2012.